The aims of RE
Learn ABOUT religion by
• acquiring and developing knowledge and understanding of Christianity and other principal religions represented in Great Britain
• developing an understanding of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities, societies and cultures.
Learn FROM religion by
• developing a positive attitude towards other people, respecting their right to hold beliefs different from their own and towards living in a society of diverse religions
• developing the ability to make reasoned and informed judgements about religious and moral issues with reference to the teachings of the principal religions represented in Great Britain
• enhancing their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development by:
- developing awareness of the fundamental questions of life raised by human experiences, and how religious teachings can relate to them
- responding to such questions with reference to the teachings and practices of religions and to their understanding and experience
- reflecting on their own beliefs, values and experiences in the light of their study.