Through our Music curriculum, we aim to nurture the following essential characteristics of musicians:
- a rapidly widening repertoire of music which pupils can use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
- a musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of technical expertise.
- good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
- an excellent understanding of how musical provenance - the historical, social and cultural origins of music - contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
- the ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
- a passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.
We are a Charanga musical school and use a living cloud-based resource to bring together great music, modern pedagogy and the latest educational technology. The Charanga schemes of music support all the requirements of the National Curriculum and are based on: listening and appraising; musical activities - creating and exploring; and singing and performing.